Catalog 2011-2012 [v2] 
    Sep 19, 2020  
Catalog 2011-2012 [v2] [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Military and Veterans Affairs

Alliant International University is committed to serving and supporting the educational needs of the military community. We appreciate and recognize the service and sacrifice of our nation’s active and veteran military personnel and their families. Our goal is to provide you with the best possible service with your transition to and success at Alliant International University.

Military and Veterans Affairs is a division within the Office of the University Dean of Students.   The Director of Military and Veterans Affairs is supported by a team of Certifying Officials (CO) located at each of our California locations that you can contact for assistance.

Military Student Applicants

Military students must satisfy the same admission requirements as all other applicants.

Transfer Credit for Military Service and Training

Veterans, active-duty personnel, Guard and Reservists applying for admission to Alliant International University may be granted academic credit on a case-by-case basis upon evaluation of official military transcripts - Sailor/Marine ACE Registry Transcript System (SMARTS), Army/ACE Registry Transcript System (AARTS), Community College of the Air Fore (CCAF) and United States Coast Guard transcripts. 

Alliant International University may award academic credit to United States military personnel for courses and military occupational specialties (MOS), based on the American Council of Education (ACE) Guide for Military Transfer Credit.  An MOS must have a recommendation evaluation by ACE (in the ACE Guide) for credit to be awarded.  Course equivalencies and credit hours awarded for a particular Alliant degree are determined by our schools and/or academic departments.  Credit hours may be awarded for specific courses toward degree requirements or as elective credit.  The number of credit hours awarded will be determined by the school and/or academic department.

Military Education Benefit Programs available at Alliant International University

 The following Military Education Benefit Programs are available at Alliant International University.

Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)

Generally, the Montgomery GI Bill is for individuals who have been on Active Duty since July 1, 1985, who have contributed $1,200 to an educational fund and have completed a qualifying amount of “honorable” service.   Additional information on the GI Bill may be found at Chapter 30

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment VetSuccess Program (Chapter 31)

If you are a veteran who has a VA disability rating and an employment handicap, you may be entitled to vocational rehabilitation and employment services under Chapter 31 of the GI Bill. These services include—but are not limited to—counseling, training, education and job placement assistance.

 The following services may be provided through the VR&E program:

  • Comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation to determine abilities, skills, interests, and needs.
  • Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning.
  • Employment services such as job-seeking skills, resume development, and other work readiness assistance.
  • Assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives.
  • On the Job Training (OJT), apprenticeships, and non-paid work experiences.
  • Financial assistance for post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school.
  • Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and referral.
  • Independent living services for Veterans unable to work due to the severity of their disabilities.


Eligibility and entitlement for VR&E are two different things. You may meet eligibility criteria, yet not be entitled to services. The first step in the VR&E process is to be evaluated to determine if you qualify for services. To receive an evaluation for VR&E services, you must meet the following “eligibility” criteria:

  • Have received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable.
  • Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10% - or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the VA.
  • Submit a completed application for VR&E services (online at the Department of Veterans Affairs VONAPP -

Period of Eligibility

Similar to many VA benefits, VR&E has a limited period of eligibility. The basic period of eligibility in which VR&E services may be used is 12 years from the date of separation from active military service, or the date the veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating, whichever comes later.

The basic period of eligibility may be extended if a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor determines that a veteran has a Serious Employment Handicap.

Program/Process Overview

If you are eligible for an evaluation under the Vocational Rehabilitation program, you must complete an application and meet with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC). If the VRC determines that an employment handicap exists as a result of a service-connected disability, you will be entitled to services. The VRC will help you identify and select the appropriate services track and together you will develop a plan to address your rehabilitation and employment needs.  

You and your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor will work together to:

  • Determine your transferable skills, aptitudes, and interests.
  • Identify viable employment and/or independent living services options.
  • Explore labor market and wage information.
  • Identify physical demands and other job characteristics.
  • Narrow vocational options to identify a suitable employment goal.
  • Select a VR&E VetSuccess program track leading to an employment or independent living goal.
  • Investigate training requirements.
  • Identify resources needed to achieve rehabilitation.
  • Develop an individualized rehabilitation plan to achieve the identified employment and/or independent living goals.

The rehabilitation plan will specify an employment or independent living goal, identify intermediate goals, and outline services and resources needed to achieve these goals. You and the VRC will work together to implement the plan and achieve successful rehabilitation.

If the VRC determines that you are not entitled to services, he or she will help you locate other resources to address any rehabilitation and employment needs identified during the evaluation. Referral to other resources may include state vocational rehabilitation programs, Department of Labor employment programs for disabled veterans, and state, federal or local agencies providing services for employment or small business development, internet-based resources for rehabilitation and employment, and information about applying for financial aid.

Post 9/11 GI Bill Program (Chapter 33)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Additional information may be found at

Beginning August 1, 2011, the Post 9/11 GI Bill will cover $17,500 in mandatory tuition and fees tor students enrolled full-time for the 2011-12 academic year.

The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rate is based on the zip code of the campus certifying your Chapter 33 eligibility. Additionally, students must be enrolled more than half-time for BAH eligibility. BAH eligibility is prorated if the student is not registered full-time.  The BAH calculator may be found at (E-5 with dependents).

Online Student Housing Allowance.  Effective October 1, 2011, the Housing Allowance will be payable to students enrolled solely in distance learning.  The Housing Allowance is half the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents ($673.50 for 2011).

The Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. It provides funding to veterans who have served at least 36 months of active duty following September 10, 2001, veterans who were honorably discharged from active duty for a service related disability and who served 30 continuous days following September 10, 2001, and dependents eligible for Transfer of Entitlement of the Post-9/11 GI.

Alliant International University is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program and eligibility is determined on a first-come, first-served basis. Questions regarding eligibility, program application, and guidance on completing the forms should be directed to the Director of Military and Veterans Affairs.

When tuition costs are fully covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program, no other institutional scholarships or grants that are specified to cover tuition costs (such as Alliant International University’s academic scholarships or grants) will be awarded.

The Yellow Ribbon funds that are provided by Alliant International University are tied to tuition costs. If tuition costs are refunded or reduced, the Yellow Ribbon award from Alliant International University will be reduced at the same percentage.

Transfer of Educational Benefits (TEB)

Some service members may be able to transfer all or some of their Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) eligibility to their dependent children or spouse. Under the new law the Department of Defense is authorized to allow individuals who have served at least 6 years in the Armed Forces and who agree to serve at least another 4 years to transfer unused GI Bill entitlement to their spouse. In addition, when a service member reaches their 10-year anniversary they can choose to transfer the benefit to any dependents - spouse or children.

The criteria for TEB are very specific and the transfer of benefits must be approved by the Department of Defense (DoD) while payment of benefits is handled by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Additional information may be found:

Survivors and Dependents Assistance (DEA) – Chapter 35

Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. Additional information may be found at

Army Tuition Assistance (TA) Program

The Army’s Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier’s professional and personal self-development goals. Soldiers must first be admitted to Alliant International University before they may enroll in any classes. Generally, Army TA covers tuition at the rate of $250 per unit. Only enrollments verified through the GoArmyEd portal will be eligible for Tuition Assistance (TA). It is the soldier’s responsibility to process all class withdrawals through GoArmyEd and Alliant International University in accordance with institutional policies and procedures.  Registration for Army TA benefits is done through the GoArmyEd portal found at

Health Professions Scholarship Program (Psychologists)

The Air Force, Army and Navy offer the Health Services Professions Scholarship Program (HSPS). The programs generally cover 100% of a student’s graduate school tuition to become a Psychologist. In addition, the programs generally offer a signing bonus plus a monthly stipend.

Students who complete the program will enter the service as a commissioned reserve officer on active duty and receive officer’s pay and benefits. Generally, students are obligated to serve at least three (3 years).

Military Spouse Benefits

Alliant International University is approved to participate in the Department of Defense’s Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program. The program provides up to $4,000 of financial assistance for military spouses who are pursuing degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to employment in Portable Career Fields.

Spouses of DoD Active Duty members and federally activated members of the National Guard and Reserve Components are eligible. The period of eligibility for spouses of Guard and Reserve members is from the date of the Alert or Warning Order for Military Recall or Mobilization, through activation and deployment until 180 days following De-Mobilization. Additional program information may be found        

Military and Veterans Program (MVP) Scholarship (Undergraduates)

Designed specifically for undergraduate Veterans and their dependents, Alliant International University offers the Military and Veterans Program (MVP) scholarship. The MVP scholarship is an annual $5,000 tuition award (two years maximum) for full-time undergraduate students and is prorated for less than full-time enrollment).  Students who qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program do not qualify for the MVP Scholarship. The MVP application may be found here:

California National Guard Education Assistance Program

The California National Guard Assistance Award Program (CNG EAAP) is a state-funded program designed to provide an educational incentive to improve skills, competencies, and abilities for up to 1,000 service members who remain active in the National Guard, the State Military Reserve or the Naval Militia. Applicants must submit the program application along with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) prior to the application priority date of June 1. Applications and program information may be found at or calling the Office of the Adjutant General at 916.854.4255.

Veterans and their dependents generally qualify for an array of federal, state, institutional and private financing programs in addition to the Military Education Benefit Programs described above.

For example, the U.S. Department of Education offers financial aid programs for almost everyone regardless of income. Undergraduate students may qualify for the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant, the Federal Work Study Program and the Federal Direct Student Loan Program. Graduate students may also qualify for the Federal Work Study and the Federal Direct Student Loan Program. The Federal Direct Loan Program generally offers student loans at interest rates considerably lower than interest rates on a typical consumer credit card. 

To apply for financial aid from the U.S. Department of Education, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at The Federal School Code for Alliant International University is 011117.

We encourage you to apply annually. The application process is free and provides an opportunity for Alliant International University to determine your eligibility for an array of financing opportunities.

Student Responsibilities to Begin Receiving Benefits

The following steps must be completed prior to a student receiving VA educational benefits for Alliant courses:

  • Students must be admitted to a degree program or certificate program at Alliant International University.
  • Students expecting to enroll under educational benefits administered by the Veterans Administration may apply online at Veterans Online Application.
  • Students contact the CO for your campus.

Responsibilities of Students Receiving Education Military Benefits

Students must notify their Certifying Official (CO) when any of the following occurs:

  • Dropping or adding course(s)
  • Withdrawing from course(s)
  • Discontinuing regular class attendance
  • Change in programs (academic majors)

VA educational benefits are payable for regular attendance in courses that are part of the veterans’ program (major) curriculum. VA educational benefits are not payable for:

  • Classes not attended regularly
  • Repeating a course for which a passing grade was received
  • Classes for which credit is received through successful completion of a proficiency test or grade by examination
  • Classes taken on an audit basis
  • Classes that are dropped
  • Classes taken that are not part of the student’s academic program (major) curriculum 

Your Role to Continue to Receive Benefits 

Reporting Requirements

Recertification for benefits is not automatic and must be requested each semester. Certifying Officials must report the actual beginning and ending dates and the number of units the military student is enrolled in. This requirement includes certifications for non-standard term enrollments (i.e., 5 week sessions, 8 week sessions, etc.). To prevent overpayment and subsequent indebtedness to the Federal Government, it is important to notify the Certifying Official (CO) for your campus immediately of changes that may affect your eligibility for benefits. It is the responsibility of each student to keep their Certifying Official apprised of the following:

Class Registration
After registering, students should request VA-Once certification through their Certifying Official (CO). The earlier a student registers and notifies registration information to the CO, the earlier certification can be transmitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Students are responsible for notifying their CO of their registration each semester or summer term at Alliant International University. All students receiving VA benefits have a responsibility to notify the CO of any changes in credit hours enrolled once the semester begins. Failure to notify the CO may result in incorrect payment for which the student may be held liable.

Changes to Schedule
Any additions, drops, withdrawals, or other interruptions must be immediately reported to the CO by the student.

Failure to Attend Class
Routine class attendance is required for students receiving VA benefits. Students who are unable to attend class for an extended period of time should notify their professors and their CO. 

Change of Major
The VA must be notified when a student changes a major. These changes may be approved if there is minimal loss of credit hours.

Change of Address
If a student’s address changes, both the Department of Veterans Affairs and Alliant International University must be notified.

Your Role as a Student—Irrespective of your VA Benefit Program

The Veterans’ Administration requires all students attending Alliant International University under Veterans Educational Assistance Benefits to make satisfactory academic progress and systematic advancement toward an educational objective or be liable for over payments from the Veterans’ Administration. Satisfactory progress and regular class attendance are expected.  You are liable for over payments from the Veterans Administration.

 Note: Most military students at Alliant meet the conditions for “satisfactorily pursuing” a program of study for receiving VA benefits by meeting the Alliant International University general catalog requirements. However, a few VA requirements are more stringent than the Alliant International University general catalog requirements and are as follows:

1. Regular Attendance: Students must be in regular attendance of all classes for which they are registered. Alliant International University may periodically make attendance spot-checks through the faculty to verify compliance.

2. Unsatisfactory Progress: The University must notify the Veterans Administration that a student has made unsatisfactory progress if the student:

a)        fails or withdraws from all classes or,
b)        Is suspended by the University.

Education benefits are terminated when a student makes unsatisfactory progress.

3. Classes not completed: Unless there are extenuating circumstances, students do not receive benefits for any portion of a class dropped after the 10-day add/drop period or for classes in which incomplete (delayed) grades are received and not resolved within one year.

Tuition Deferment

Deferred payment for the application fee and tuition deposits may be granted upon application by the student on the following grounds:

Deferral eligibility is granted to students receiving veterans’ educational assistance benefits from federal or state assistance programs if aid is delayed in transmission to the student through circumstances beyond the student’s control.

Students receiving benefits on active duty and under Chapters 30, 32, 33, 35, 1606, and 1607, U.S.C., are eligible for deferred payment status.

Called to Serve

Alliant International University is committed to providing the highest quality services for active military students and those affiliated with the military. It is our goal to provide a seamless transition for students from Alliant International University to national and international military service and deployment and back. Alliant employees realize every student’s situation is unique dependent upon course load, financial aid status, and date called to serve to name a few. As such, each and every student “called to serve” will be provided individualized service to address their specific needs.


Alliant International University will ensure students do not face an academic disadvantage as a result of being called to national or international service. When a student (or family member) receives orders to deploy, the University works with the student to determine the best options based on the circumstance. In these circumstances, students can withdraw from the University with a 100% refund and without penalty.  The University will also make every effort to restore students returning from national and military service to the status they held prior to their departure. 

If classes are in session at the time of activation, each case may be evaluated individually and professors consulted as appropriate. The Financial Aid Office has guidelines for students called to serve. Given the differences in the programs of external lenders, students should coordinate with their lenders directly to obtain deferments as prescribed by federal law.


1.        Withdrawal. At any point in the term, a student called to serve may withdraw from Alliant International University by submitting a withdrawal request along with a copy of deployment orders to the Registrar’s Office. The student will receive a full credit of tuition and fees. The Registrar’s Office will process the withdrawal and arrange for appropriate adjustments to the student’s account.

2.        Selective Drops. A student may drop one or more courses and elect to complete remaining coursework according to Option 3 or Option 4 below. A full credit of tuition and fees for dropped courses will be honored.

3.        Incompletes. Students who have successfully completed the majority of work for a course may be awarded a grade of “Incomplete” at the discretion of the professor. Professors are strongly encouraged to grant additional time for students to make up the required work.

4.        Final Grades. A final grade option becomes available if the following requirements are met:
a.        The professor determines a sufficient amount of the course work has been completed, and,
b.        Sufficient information about a student’s performance in the course has been obtained.

Students must consult with their professors to determine whether these two requirements have been met for a final grade to be awarded.

Called to Serve - Re-Admission Policy

Any student whose absence from Alliant International University is necessitated by reason of service in the uniformed services shall be entitled to readmission to Alliant International University if:

1.       The student (or an appropriate officer of the Armed Forces or official of the Department of Defense) gives advance written or verbal notice of such service to an Alliant International University Official.
2.       The cumulative length of the absence and of all previous absences from Alliant International University by reason of service in the uniformed services does not exceed five years, and except as otherwise provided in this section, the student submits a notification of intent to re-enroll at Alliant International University.

Exceptions include:

1.       No notice is required if giving of such notice is precluded by military necessity, such as: mission, operation, exercise, or requirement that is classified or,
2.       A pending or ongoing mission, operation, exercise or requirement that may be compromised or otherwise adversely affected by public knowledge.

Any student who did not give advance written or verbal notice of service to the appropriate Alliant International University Official may meet the notice requirement by submitting, at the time the student seeks readmission, an attestation to Alliant International University that they performed service in the uniformed services that necessitated the student’s absence from Alliant International University.

A student who is readmitted to Alliant International University under this section, shall be readmitted with the same academic status as such student had when such student last attended Alliant International University.

Exception from Readmission Eligibility – upon the occurrence of the following events a student’s eligibility might be terminated:

1.       Separation of such person from the Armed Forces (including the National Guard and Reserves) with dishonorable or bad conduct discharge, or
2.       Dismissal of such person permitted under section 1161(a) of Title 10, United States Code.

Non-Standard & Accelerated Enrollment Policy

For Veterans’ and Veterans’ Dependents Educational Assistance Benefits Certifications and Calculations

Courses offered during terms which are less than the 16 week standard semester would be considered non-standard or accelerated courses.  The following calculation, where a minimum of 4 semester hours in each primary term (Sessions I and II) is equivalent to full-time in a full semester term. A more complicated enrollment with course(s) overlapping different sessions may not be as clear.

The Non-Standard and Accelerated Courses Policy Calculation of Training Time for Graduates

Weeks divided by Standard Semester multiplied by Units Required for Full-time Status or Half-time then Equals Hours Prorated Equivalency.