2021-2022 Catalog 
    Jun 24, 2024  
2021-2022 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

International Applicants and Students

International Admissions

Alliant welcomes applications from international applicants. In addition to the standard admissions requirements as detailed in the admissions and registration section of this catalog, international applicants living abroad must meet additional requirements. Admitted students who are not U.S. Citizens or permanent residents (Green Card holders) are required to obtain U.S. immigration authorization to enroll at Alliant.

For international students living abroad, applicants must:

  1. Complete their application and submit all required materials at least six (6) weeks prior to start of semester/term.
  2. Have a valid I-20/DS-2019 on file at least 30 days prior to start of semester/term.
  3. Have visa approved at least 2 weeks prior to start; and
  4. Arrive in the country no more than 30 days prior to the first day of the applicable semester/term.

For international students living in the U.S. (transfer), applicants must:

  1. Complete their application at least two (2) weeks prior to start; and
  2. Have a valid I-20/DS-2019 on file and arrive no later than the first day of the applicable semester/term.

F-1 and J-1 Visas

Alliant is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant students on F-1 or J-1 visas. F-1 and J-1 statuses are designated as full-time student statuses.

Applicants will need to choose between F-1 and J-1 status. Both statuses will allow students to study, and both allow for on-campus and some off-campus work authorization.

The eligibility requirements for F-1 and J-1 student status are as follows:

  • F-1 Visa: To be eligible for an I-20 and F-1 visa, you must be admitted to a full-time program of study, meet the English requirement, and be able to show proof of funding for at least the first year of study.
  • J-1 Visa: If you have funding from an outside source (e.g., scholarship, grant, government, or other) you may qualify for the DS-2019 form and J-1 student visa.

NOTE: funding from an outside source should be equal to at least 50% of tuition expenses.

There are significant differences between F-1 and J-1 visa statuses. Alliant suggests visiting Study in the States for information on F-1 visas and the Exchange Visitor Program for information on J-1 visas.

Requesting an I-20 or DS-2019

International applicants attending Alliant in the U.S. will need to apply for an F-1 or J-1 visa. To do so requires an I-20 or DS-2019 issued by Alliant.

To obtain an I-20 or DS-2019 follow these steps:

1. Complete the Undergraduate or Graduate Financial Certification Form

International applicants to Alliant’s programs in the United States are required to provide evidence of financial support for their studies. U.S. immigration law prohibits waiver of the financial guarantee. The financial guarantee certifies that sufficient funds are available for a student (and dependents) for study at the University for at least one academic year; and, barring unforeseen circumstances, adequate funding will be available from the same or equally dependable sources for subsequent years for the full course of study. Without this certified information, the I-20 form or DS-2019 cannot be issued. The financial guarantee must be current within twelve months of the student’s start date at the University.

The below list is provided to help you determine which funding documents are acceptable as evidence of financial resources. Funding can come from one or multiple sources provided the total amount is enough to meet the funding amount required.

Bank Letter

  • Must be dated and signed, and no more than 12 months old.
  • Must include the name of account holder.
  • Must include the amount of money in the account or a statement that the holder has enough money in the account to cover the estimated costs.
  • Must be in English or include a certified English translation.
  • Must include the type of account (e.g., savings, checking, time deposit) - funds must be readily available.
  • Must include the type of currency.

Bank Statement

  • Must be dated and no more than 12 months old.
  • Must include name of account holder.
  • Must include the amount of money in the account.
  • Must be in English or include a certified English translation.
  • Must include type of account (e.g., savings, checking, time deposit) - funds must be readily available.
  • Must include type of currency.

Sponsor Letter

  • Must be certified and addressed to Alliant International University.
  • Must be dated and signed, and no more than 12 months old.
  • Must include the conditions of the approved award.
  • The name and address of the sponsor.
  • The total amount in U.S. dollars available and date the award was confirmed.
  • The period for which funding is guaranteed or a statement that funding is renewable annually for a specified number of years.
  • The academic major or field of study to be sponsored.
  • How the funds will be transmitted to the student and when the funds will be transmitted.
  • An official English translation and the original language document (if not in English).

2. Submit along with the financial certification form a copy of the first page of your passport.

Once all required documents are received an I-20 or DS-2019 will be issued and mailed to you.

Applying for a Visa - New Students

Alliant does not provide visa services to international applicants or students or vouch for student immigration status. Applicants should apply for a visa well in advance of arrival at Alliant, as it can in some instances take several weeks and occasionally longer, to obtain the student visa. 

To obtain a visa:

  1. Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee. Keep the receipt as it is needed for the visa application.
  2. Complete the DS-160 Online Visa Application and pay the visa application fee.
  3. Schedule an interview at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy in the applicant’s home country.

Additional information on F-1 and J-1 visas can be found at the U.S. Department of State website.

Canadian citizens do not currently need visas to study in the U.S. However, Canadian students do need to obtain an I-20 or DS-2019 from the Alliant. When crossing the border to begin study in the United States, the student will need to provide the Officer at the port of entry:

  1. A Canadian passport.
  2. The original I-20 or DS-2019.
  3. Proof that the SEVIS fee has been paid.
  4. Proof of ability to pay school fees and living expenses in the United States; and
  5. Proof of ties to Canada.

Visa Transfer Students

Students are considered Visa Transfer Students if they currently hold F-1 or J-1 status at another institution in the U.S. and plan to remain in the same immigration status while at Alliant.

To initiate a transfer to Alliant the applicant should:

  1. Contact the Alliant International Student Services Office to discuss the transfer process.
  2. Contact the International Student Office at the applicant’s current institution and inform them of intent to transfer to Alliant.
  3. J-1 students should also meet with their sponsor to discuss their intent to transfer.

International Student Health Insurance

In compliance with Department of State regulations, international students attending Alliant on J-1 visas (as well as their accompanying spouses and dependents) are required to obtain health insurance coverage during their tenure at Alliant.

Students on J-1 visas must show proof of compliant health insurance coverage at the start of each academic year (or their first term at Alliant if starting during an alternate semester or term). Without showing proof of health insurance each year, students will not be permitted to register for courses.

The following medical insurance coverage is required by [22 CFR 62.14].

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness.
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000.
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000.
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

Insurance policies must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of “A-” or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of “A-I” or above, a Standard and Poor’s Claims Paying Ability rating of “A-” or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above. Alternatively, the sponsor may ascertain that the participant’s policy is backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor’s home country.

While students on F-1 visas are not required to show evidence of health insurance, Alliant strongly recommends students obtain health insurance while in the U.S.

Please direct any questions you may have regarding health insurance coverage to the International Student Services Office.

International Student Orientation

International students participate in a customized orientation program designed to help them transition to life in the United States, including information on visa regulations, housing options, transportation, campus life and fun activities.

Special attention is paid to developing supportive relationships with fellow students, university faculty and staff. International students are required to arrive on campus at least one (1) week prior to the start of academic classes to help them transition.

Maintaining Status

F-1 and J-1 students are admitted to the U.S. for “duration of status”, which is notated as D/S on the form I-94. This means they are permitted to stay in the U.S. if they follow the rules of their immigration status. F-1 and J-1 students must always maintain status.

To maintain lawful status:

  • Attend the International Student Orientation.
  • Attend the university listed on the I-20.
  • Be in good academic standing and make progress towards an academic program.
  • Extend the I-20/DS-2019 prior to its expiration date if unable to complete the academic program by the original end date listed on the I-20/DS-2019.
  • In the event of change of academic program or level, update the I-20/DS-2019 in a timely fashion in accordance with immigration regulations.
  • In the event of a school transfer, complete the appropriate transfer process.
  • Maintain full-time enrollment during the academic year.
  • Limit on-campus employment to 20 hours per week during academic year.
  • Do not work off-campus without pre-authorization.
  • Always keep your passport valid. The passport must be valid for at least 6 months into the future on the day you return to the U.S. from a trip abroad.
  • Update current and permanent address information within 10 days of moving.
  • J-1 students must maintain required health insurance coverage.

The International Student Services Office can address any questions about maintaining status.

International Student Services

The International Student Service Office (ISSO) provides additional services for students from countries other than the United States. The ISSO provides pre-arrival information to help international students prepare for their Alliant programs, gives advice on matters of concern, and refers students to appropriate resources. The ISSO serves as liaison to organizations sponsoring international students and to U.S. government agencies.

All international students and scholars are required to always comply with United States laws, policies and regulations pertaining to their status; the ISSO assists international visitors in understanding and following these U.S. laws and regulations. The ISSO encourages and develops co-curricular activities to help students and others understand and appreciate the variety of cultures represented at Alliant.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

An F-1 student may be authorized by the Designated School Official (DSO) to participate in a curricular practical training program that is an integral part of an established curriculum. Curricular practical training is defined to be alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school. Students who have received one year or more of full time curricular practical training are ineligible for post-completion academic training. Practical training may be authorized to an F-1 student who has been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis, in a Service-approved college, university, conservatory, or seminary for one full academic year. Exceptions to the one academic year requirement are provided for students enrolled in graduate studies that require immediate participation in curricular practical training. A request for authorization for curricular practical training must be made to the DSO. A student may begin curricular practical training only after receiving his or her Form I-20 with the DSO endorsement.

A program that offers “curricular practical training” must list the training opportunity as a course in the course catalog. It must also list the responsible faculty member (if the name of the responsible faculty member is not listed in the catalog, it must be included in the advisor’s letter) and a statement of the purpose of the training opportunity.

Not all programs at Alliant offer internships/practicum courses that meet the above requirements. Only a limited number of Alliant programs meet the above requirements and thus only students in those programs will be able to take advantage of curricular practical training (CPT). 

Eligibility Requirements 

To be considered curricular practical training, the work must be related to your major field of study and must also be an integral or important part of your studies. Training which is required by your degree program always meets the requirements for curricular practical training. If you have a training opportunity which involves employment, check with Designated School Official at your campus to determine if it qualifies as curricular practical training.

Please note that if you are taking the training for practicum credit, you must be enrolled in the practicum course for the semester/term during which you are engaged in the curricular practical training. Failure to enroll in and complete the class will result in immediate violation of your legal status and could be cause for deportation. It is the student’s responsibility to fulfill all requirements of curricular practical training. (CPT).

Student Eligibility Conditions

The student must be maintaining valid F-1 status.

  1. Students must have been in F-1 status for one academic year. Exceptions to the one academic year requirement are provided for students enrolled in graduate studies that require immediate participation in curricular practical training.
  2. The employment must clearly be related to the student’s field of study.
  3. CPT requires a signed cooperative agreement or a letter from your employer.
  4. Students who have already completed all course/unit requirements for their degree are not eligible for curricular practical training. Students may not enroll in the same CPT course more than once unless the department grants course credit for the course when it is taken more than once.
  5. Students applying for CPT must also meet any additional requirements set by programs concerning the minimum number of units they are required to take during the semester/term they are enrolled in the CPT course.

Please note that students applying for curricular practical training must be approved by their DSO before starting their curricular practical training. Undergraduate students must have declared a major and completed nine months of full-time study to be eligible for any form of curricular practical training. Students enrolled in English language training programs are not eligible for curricular practical training.

Part-Time vs. Full-Time Curricular Practical Training

Part-Time Training 

Employment for 20 hours or less per week while you are also enrolled for classes is considered “part-time” curricular practical training. The employment authorization that will appear on your I-20 should therefore specify permission to engage in “part-time” training and you must be careful to limit your work to no more than 20 hours per week.

Full-Time Training

Employment for more than 20 hours per week is considered “full-time” curricular practical training and the employment authorization on your I-20 should, in this case, specify permission to participate in “full-time” training. There is no limitation upon the length of time you may participate in full-time curricular practical training. However, if you participate for twelve months or more, you will not be eligible for any type of optional (including post-completion) practical training.

Please note that if your program does not offer a specific practicum course or does not offer the course during the semester/term for which you are seeking employment authorization, then you will not qualify for Curricular Practical Training, but you might qualify for Optional Practical Training.

While immigration regulations provide a variety of opportunities for you to conduct practical training during your time in F-1 status, working improperly or without authorization is a serious violation of your status. The DHS prohibits the authorization of Curricular Practical Training issued for the primary purpose of facilitating employment.

Application and Authorization Procedures 

To apply for Curricular Practical Training, please contact the Designated School Official at your campus and schedule an appointment at least two weeks prior to the beginning of your Curricular Practical Training.