Catalog 2013-2014 
    Jun 24, 2024  
Catalog 2013-2014 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Military and Veterans Affairs

Alliant International University is committed to serving our military community. We appreciate and recognize the service and sacrifices of our nation’s active and veteran military personnel and their families. Our goal is to provide you with the best possible service during your transition to and success at Alliant International University.

The Director of Military and Veterans Affairs is responsible for serving our military students and manages a “one-stop” shop for new and continuing military students. Additionally, each of our California locations has a military student ‘Point of Contact’ (POC) that you can turn to for assistance. 

Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC)

Alliant International University is a member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) created in 1972 to provide educational opportunities to Servicemembers who, because they frequently moved from place to place, had trouble completing college degrees. SOC functions in cooperation with 15 higher education associations, the Department of Defense, and Active and Reserve Components of the Military Services to expand and improve voluntary postsecondary education opportunities for Servicemembers worldwide.

As a member of SOC, Alliant International University ensures a commitment to the principles and criteria required for membership:

  1. Reduced Academic Residency: limited to no more than 25% of degree requirements with no final year or semester in residence (may require 30% for undergraduate degrees offered 100% online)
  2. Reasonable Transfer of Credit: avoid excessive loss of previously earned credit and avoid course work duplication
  3. Credit for Military Training and Experience: recognize and use ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services in evaluating and awarding academic credit for military training and experience
  4. Credit for Nationally-Recognized Testing Programs: award credit for at least one nationally-recognized testing program such as College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), DSST Examinations, Excelsior College Examinations (ECE) 

Military Student Applicants

Military students must satisfy the same admission requirements as all other applicants. Additionally, military transcripts are required of all current or former service members attending Alliant International University.

Military Transcripts

Joint Services Transcript (JST)

JST is the Joint Services Transcript that replaces the Coast Guard Institute Transcript, the Army ACE Registry Transcript (AARTS) and the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). JST is an academically accepted document approved by the American Council on Education (ACE) to validate a service member’s military occupational experience and training along with the corresponding ACE college credit recommendations.

The JST may be accessed and requested here:

U.S. Air Force: Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)

The USAF, through the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF), provides a transcript detailing ACE recommended credit. You will be able to obtain this transcript for military training and experience even if you have not attended classes at CCAF. To order an official copy and have it mailed directly to us, please download a CCAF transcript ( request and follow the instructions. CCAF transcripts typically arrive within 14 days. CCAF will send an official copy to Alliant by mail.

Transfer Credit for Military Service and Training

Veterans, active-duty personnel, Guard and Reservists applying for admission to Alliant International University may be granted academic credit on a case-by-case basis upon evaluation of official military transcripts. 

Alliant International University may award academic credit to United States military personnel for courses and military occupational specialties (MOS), based on the American Council of Education (ACE) Guide for Military Transfer Credit.  An MOS must have a recommendation evaluation by ACE (in the ACE Guide) for credit to be awarded.  Course equivalencies and credit hours awarded for a particular Alliant degree are determined by our schools and/or academic departments.  Credit hours may be awarded for specific courses toward degree requirements or as elective credit.  The number of credit hours awarded will be determined by the school and/or academic department.

Transfer Students

Students who have attended other schools and used VA educational benefits will need to complete a VA Form 22-1995 (Change of Program or Place of Training) and submit it to the Director of Military and Veterans Affairs. VA Form 22-1995 may be found at

Academic Program Map

Alliant International University provides Academic Plans of Study (aka academic roadmaps) to every student. We encourage all military students to review their academic plans of study along with their transfer evaluations to determine their remaining requirements for degree completion at Alliant International University.

Preparatory Coursework

Preparatory Coursework also known as “courses required for admission to the next level of training” may be approved in two situations:

  1. The first is when an Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) requires a student to pursue courses at an educational level for which he or she already holds a diploma or degree.
  2. The second is when an IHL requires a student to pursue courses at an educational level for which he or she appears qualified by reason of previous training.

For example, a college may require a student with a B.A. degree to take some undergraduate subjects for admission to a graduate degree program, or to gain teacher certification for specific subjects. A statement from the school as to requirements of any specific courses for the student must accompany the claimant’s application.

If a graduate school requires a student with a bachelor’s degree to pursue undergraduate courses to satisfy admission requirements for a graduate degree program, then the courses required for admission may be certified as part of that graduate degree program.

In order to certify the courses, however, the following requirements must be met:

  • The student should apply to the school as a graduate degree seeking student and the student must furnish the school transcripts of all previous education and training.
  • The graduate school must determine whether the student meets its matriculation criteria. This process includes evaluation of prior credit. If the student cannot matriculate immediately upon enrollment, then the requirements the student must meet in order to matriculate must be identified and documented.
  • If undergraduate courses are required to matriculate, the graduate school must prepare a statement on the school’s letterhead, signed by a responsible school official – the department head, for example – that outlines the required undergraduate courses (identified by course number and name). This statement must be kept in the student’s file.

The Non-Standard and Accelerated Courses Policy (Calculation of Training Time for Graduates)

Weeks divided by Standard Semester multiplied by Units Required for Fulltime Status or Halftime then Equals Hours Prorated Equivalency

The following chart will aid in determining the semester hour equivalency training times:

Semester Hour Equivalency Table for Non-Standard Courses

                                                              Semester Hours

Course Length (Weeks)
Fulltime Halftime
16 8.0 5.00
15 7.5 4.68
14 7.0 4.37
13 6.5 4.06
12 6.0 3.75
11 5.5 3.43
10 5.0 3.125
9 4.5 2.81
8 4.0 2.50
7 3.5 2.18
6 3.0 1.87
5 2.5 1.50
4 2.0 1.25
3 1.5 0.93
2 1.0 0.65
1 0.5 0.31

Military Education Benefit Programs available at Alliant International University

Veterans and their dependents generally qualify for an array of Federal, State, Institutional and Private financing programs beyond the Military Education Benefit Programs listed and described below.

For example, the U.S. Department of Education offers financial aid programs for almost everyone. Undergraduate students may qualify for the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant, the Federal Work Study Program and the Federal Direct Student Loan Program. Graduate students may also qualify for the Federal Work Study and the Federal Direct Student Loan Program. The Federal Direct Loan Program generally offers student loans at interest rates considerably lower than interest rates on a typical consumer credit card.

To apply for financial aid from the U.S. Department of Education, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) The Federal School Code for Alliant International University is 011117.

We encourage you to apply annually. The application process is free and provides an opportunity for Alliant International University to determine your eligibility for an array of financing opportunities.

The following Military Education Benefit Programs are available at Alliant International University.

Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)

Generally, the Montgomery GI Bill is for individuals who have been on Active Duty since July 1, 1985, who have contributed $1,200 to an educational fund and have completed a qualifying amount of “honorable” service.   Additional information on the GI Bill may be found at Chapter 30

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment VetSuccess Program (Chapter 31)

If you are a veteran who has a VA disability rating and an employment handicap, you may be entitled to vocational rehabilitation and employment services under Chapter 31 of the GI Bill. These services include—but are not limited to—counseling, training, education and job placement assistance.

 The following services may be provided through the VR&E program:

  • Comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation to determine abilities, skills, interests, and needs.
  • Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning.
  • Employment services such as job-seeking skills, resume development, and other work readiness assistance.
  • Assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives.
  • On the Job Training (OJT), apprenticeships, and non-paid work experiences.
  • Financial assistance for post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school.
  • Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and referral.
  • Independent living services for Veterans unable to work due to the severity of their disabilities.


Eligibility and entitlement for VR&E are two different things. You may meet eligibility criteria, yet not be entitled to services. The first step in the VR&E process is to be evaluated to determine if you qualify for services. To receive an evaluation for VR&E services, you must meet the following “eligibility” criteria:

  • Have received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable.
  • Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10% - or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the VA.
  • Submit a completed application for VR&E services (online at the Department of Veterans Affairs VONAPP -

Period of Eligibility

Similar to many VA benefits, VR&E has a limited period of eligibility. The basic period of eligibility in which VR&E services may be used is 12 years from the date of separation from active military service, or the date the veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating, whichever comes later.

The basic period of eligibility may be extended if a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor determines that a veteran has a Serious Employment Handicap.

Program/Process Overview

If you are eligible for an evaluation under the Vocational Rehabilitation program, you must complete an application and meet with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC). If the VRC determines that an employment handicap exists as a result of a service-connected disability, you will be entitled to services. The VRC will help you identify and select the appropriate services track and together you will develop a plan to address your rehabilitation and employment needs.  

You and your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor will work together to:

  • Determine your transferable skills, aptitudes, and interests.
  • Identify viable employment and/or independent living services options.
  • Explore labor market and wage information.
  • Identify physical demands and other job characteristics.
  • Narrow vocational options to identify a suitable employment goal.
  • Select a VR&E VetSuccess program track leading to an employment or independent living goal.
  • Investigate training requirements.
  • Identify resources needed to achieve rehabilitation.
  • Develop an individualized rehabilitation plan to achieve the identified employment and/or independent living goals.

The rehabilitation plan will specify an employment or independent living goal, identify intermediate goals, and outline services and resources needed to achieve these goals. You and the VRC will work together to implement the plan and achieve successful rehabilitation.

If the VRC determines that you are not entitled to services, he or she will help you locate other resources to address any rehabilitation and employment needs identified during the evaluation. Referral to other resources may include state vocational rehabilitation programs, Department of Labor employment programs for disabled veterans, and state, federal or local agencies providing services for employment or small business development, internet-based resources for rehabilitation and employment, and information about applying for financial aid.

If you believe that you may be eligible for VR&E services, you can get started today by applying online at the Department of Veterans Affairs VONAPP ( site.

Additional information may be found at Chapter 31 (

Post 9/11 GI Bill Program (Chapter 33)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Additional information may be found at

The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rate is based on the zip code of the campus with which you are affiliated. Additionally, students must be enrolled more than half-time for BAH eligibility. Half-time registration is as follows:

  • Undergraduate                6 units
  • Credential                        6 units
  • Graduate                         5 units

Therefore, you must register for more than the units reflected above, however Graduate students enrolled in dissertation courses

 ,  ,  ,  ,  ,   or   are considered to be full-time. The BAH calculator may be found at (E-5 with dependents).

The Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. It provides funding to veterans who have served at least 36 months of active duty following September 10, 2001, veterans who were honorably discharged from active duty for a service related disability and who served 30 continuous days following September 10, 2001, and dependents eligible for Transfer of Entitlement of the Post-9/11 GI.

Alliant International University is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program and eligibility is determined on a first-come, first-served basis. Applicants must have 100% eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI Bill to qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program. Additionally, active duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program. Questions regarding eligibility, program application, and guidance on completing the forms should be directed to the Director of Military and Veterans Affairs.

When tuition costs are fully covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program, no other institutional scholarships or grants that are specified to cover tuition costs (such as Alliant International University’s academic scholarships or grants) will be awarded. The Yellow Ribbon funds that are provided by Alliant International University are tied to tuition costs. If tuition costs are refunded or reduced, the Yellow Ribbon award from Alliant International University and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) will be reduced at the same percentage.

Transfer of Educational Benefits (TEB)

Some service members may be able to transfer all or some of their Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) eligibility to their dependent children or spouse. Under the new law the Department of Defense is authorized to allow individuals who have served at least 6 years in the Armed Forces and who agree to serve at least another 4 years to transfer unused GI Bill entitlement to their spouse. In addition, when a service member reaches their 10-year anniversary they can choose to transfer the benefit to any dependents - spouse or children.

The criteria for TEB are very specific and the transfer of benefits must be approved by the Department of Defense (DoD) while payment of benefits is handled by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Additional information may be found:

Survivors and Dependents Assistance (DEA) – Chapter 35

Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. Additional information may be found at

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) Program

Tuition Assistance (TA) is available to Active Duty, National Guard, and Reserve service members. Generally, TA has a limit of $250 per credit hour and an aggregate annual limit of $4,500.

Additional information on the TA program for each branch of the military may be found on the links provided. Please note: if the links below prompt you with a security warning, simply accept the security certificate or follow the instructions to add an exception to your browser.

For more information on the Air Force’s Tuition Assistance Program, visit
For more information on the Army’s Tuition Assistance Program, visit
For more information on the Coast Guard’s Tuition Assistance Program, visit
For more information on the Marine’s Tuition Assistance Program, visit
For more information on the Navy’s Tuition Assistance Program, visit

Health Professions Scholarship Program (Psychologists)

The Air Force, Army and Navy offer the Health Services Professions Scholarship Program (HSPS). The programs generally cover 100% of a student’s graduate school tuition to become a Psychologist. In addition, the programs generally offer a signing bonus plus a monthly stipend.

Students who complete the program will enter the service as a commissioned reserve officer on active duty and receive officer’s pay and benefits. Generally, students are obligated to serve at least three (3) years.

Military Spouse Benefits

Alliant International University is approved to participate in the Department of Defense’s Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program. The program provides up to $4,000 of financial assistance for military spouses who are pursuing degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to employment in Portable Career Fields.

Spouses of DoD Active Duty members and federally activated members of the National Guard and Reserve Components are eligible. The period of eligibility for spouses of Guard and Reserve members is from the date of the Alert or Warning Order for Military Recall or Mobilization, through activation and deployment until 180 days following De-Mobilization. Additional program information may be found        

Military and Veterans Program (MVP) Scholarship (Undergraduates)

Designed specifically for undergraduate Veterans and their dependents, Alliant International University offers the Military and Veterans Program (MVP) scholarship. The MVP scholarship is an annual $5,000 tuition award for full-time undergraduate students and is prorated for less than full-time enrollment. Students who qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program do not qualify for the MVP Scholarship.

California National Guard Education Assistance Program

The California National Guard Assistance Award Program (CNG EAAP) is a state-funded program designed to provide an educational incentive to improve skills, competencies, and abilities for up to 1,000 service members who remain active in the National Guard, the State Military Reserve or the Naval Militia. Applicants must submit the program application along with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) prior to the application priority date of June 1. Applications and program information may be found at or calling the Office of the Adjutant General at 916.854.4255.

Chapter 1606 (MGIB-SR)

The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.
You may use this education assistance program for degree programs, certificate or correspondence courses, cooperative training, independent study programs, apprenticeship/on-the-job training, and vocational flight training programs. Remedial, refresher and deficiency training are available under certain circumstances.
Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components. VA makes the payments for this program.
You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits.
Your eligibility for the program normally ends on the day you leave the Selected Reserve.
One exception to this rule exists if you are mobilized (or recalled to active duty from your reserve status), in this case your eligibility may be extended for the amount of time you are mobilized PLUS four months. For example, if you are mobilized for 12 months your eligibility period is extended for 16 months (12 months active duty PLUS 4 months.) So even if you leave the reserves after mobilization, you may have additional eligibility to the MGIB-SR.
If your unit is deactivated during the period beginning on October 1, 2007 through September 30, 2014 or you are involuntarily separated (for reasons other than misconduct) you will retain your original period of eligibility which is 14 years from the date of your first 6 year obligation with the selected reserves.

To qualify, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation. For some types of training, it is necessary to have a six-year commitment that begins after September 30, 1990;
  • Complete your initial active duty for training (IADT);
  • Meet the requirement to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT. You may not use 12 hours toward a college degree to meet this requirement;
  • Remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit. You will also retain MGIB - SR eligibility if you were discharged from Selected Reserve service due to a disability that was not caused by misconduct. Your eligibility period may be extended if you are ordered to active duty.

How to Apply
Your unit will give you a DD Form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility, when you become eligible for the program. Your unit will also code your eligibility into the Department of Defense personnel system so that VA may verify your eligibility.
Obtain and complete VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits.

Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP)

REAP was established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

Licensing and Certification Tests (Chapter 30, 32, 33, 35, 1606 and 1607)

VA can reimburse the cost of approved licensing and certification tests. Students are reimbursed the cost of the test, not to exceed the approved cost of the test or $2,000. Benefits can be paid for tests that are not passed, for tests retaken if not passed, and for tests required to be recertified or to renew a license.

Students must be eligible for benefits to receive test reimbursement. They must have remaining entitlement and their delimiting date must not have passed. Information about test fee reimbursement can be found at

VA students can apply for test fee reimbursement by completing and submitting an Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certification Test Fees available at

Attach a copy of the test results to the application. If test results are not available, attach a copy of the license or certification and a payment receipt. Test fee reimbursement can be paid for each test for which reimbursement is claimed and the required documents are submitted.

Entitlement is prorated based on the amount reimbursed. If a student’s full-time benefit is $1000 per month and the student is reimbursed $500 for a test, then the student’s remaining entitlement will be reduced by ½ month.

Some examples include:

  • ACT (American College Testing Program)
  • AP (Advanced Placement Exam)
  • CLEP (College-Level Examination Program)
  • DSST (DANTES Subject Standardized Tests)
  • ECE (Excelsior College Examinations)
  • GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)
  • GRE (Graduate Record Exam)
  • LSAT (Law School Admission Test)
  • MAT (Miller Analogies Test)
  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)

For more information or to see if a test is approved, please visit

How Do I Apply For Reimbursement?

You must be eligible for GI Bill benefits to qualify for reimbursement. Complete VA Form 22-0810 (Application for Reimbursement of National Exam Fee).

You may mail the required documentation to the Regional Processing Office in Muskogee, OK (P.O. Box 8888, Muskogee, OK, 74402-8888) or you can use the “Submit a Question” section of the GI Bill website to send the VA Form 22-0810 and attach required documents to your submission.

Tutorial Assistance (Chapters 30, 32, 33, 35, and 1606)

VA may pay tutorial assistance to a student receiving education benefits. The monthly rate may not exceed the cost of tutoring or $100. The maximum amount payable is $1200. There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 under Chapter 30 and 1606. There is no entitlement charge under Chapter 33 or 35.

The student, tutor, and certifying official (CO) must complete an Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance VA Form 22-1990t. The application may be submitted at the end of each month or combination of months. The application must be signed and dated on or after the date of the last tutoring session certified. VA can pay for tutorial assistance during the one-year period before the date VA receives the application.

All of the following criterion must be met for a student to be eligible for tutorial assistance:

  • The student must be in a post-secondary program ½-time or more. For Chapter 33, rate of pursuit must be “at least 50%.”
  • The student must have a deficiency in a course that is part of his or her approved program.
  • The student must be enrolled in the course during the term in which the tutoring is received for the course. Tutoring may not occur between terms.

When a certifying official signs an Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance, he or she certifies that:

  • Tutoring is essential to correct a deficiency. A letter from the course instructor should be put in the student’s VA file. The letter must state that the student is deficient in the course and that individual tutoring is required to correct the deficiency.
  • The tutor meets the college’s qualifications. Ideally, the school maintains a list of approved tutors. The list should indicate the subjects a tutor is qualified to tutor and the hourly charge. Students should be assigned a tutor from the approved list. A tutor may not be a close relative of the student.
  • The charges do not exceed the usual charges for tutoring.

VA Work Study (Chapters 33, 30, 31, 32, 35, 1606 and 1607)

Students can apply by completing VA Form 22-8691 “Application for Work-Study Allowance”
and submitting the form to the VA Regional Processing Office in Muskogee, Oklahoma:

P.O. Box 8888
Muskogee, OK

Students must attend school at the ¾ time or full time rate.

What Type of Work Does a Work Study Student Do?

Students must be assigned to work sites that will permit them to perform VA related activities. These work sites include, but are not limited to: Regional Offices, VA Medical Centers, Vet Centers, VA Outpatient Clinics, National Cemeteries, and local education institutions. Pay is based on the higher of the Federal minimum wage or the State/Local minimum wage. Work performed on or after the effective date of any minimum wage increase will be paid at the higher rate even though the contract may show a lower rate.

Student Responsibilities

E-Benefits Portal

The E-Benefits portal developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Defense is an on-line resource for tools and benefits-related information. The portal serves Wounded Warriors, Veterans, Service Members, their families, and their caregivers.

Students are encouraged to register and utilize eBenefits to assist with:

  • Obtaining up to date information on educational entitlement
  • Updating Direct Deposit and personal contact information
  • Downloading VA Letters and Personal Documents
  • Viewing the current status of payments (both education and disability)

Students can access the web portal at

Student Responsibilities to Begin Receiving Benefits

The following steps must be completed prior to a student receiving VA educational benefits for Alliant courses:

Responsibilities of Students Receiving Education Military Benefits

Students must notify their Certifying Official (CO) when any of the following occurs:

  • Dropping or adding course(s)
  • Withdrawing from course(s)
  • Discontinuing regular class attendance
  • Change in programs (academic majors)

VA educational benefits are payable for regular attendance in courses that are part of the veterans’ program (major) curriculum. VA educational benefits are not payable for:

  • Classes not attended regularly
  • Repeating a course for which a passing grade was received
  • Classes for which credit is received through successful completion of a proficiency test or grade by examination
  • Classes taken on an audit basis
  • Classes that are dropped
  • Classes taken that are not part of the student’s academic program (major) curriculum 

Your Role to Continue to Receive Benefits 

Reporting Requirements

Recertification for benefits is not automatic and must be requested each semester. To prevent overpayment and subsequent indebtedness to the Federal Government, it is important to notify the POC for your campus immediately of changes that may affect your eligibility for benefits. It is the responsibility of each student to keep their Certifying Official apprised of the following:

Class Registration

After registering, students should request VA-Once certification through their POC. The earlier a student registers and notifies registration information to the POC, the earlier certification can be transmitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Changes to Schedule

Any additions, drops, withdrawals, or other interruptions must be immediately reported to the POC by the student.

Failure to Attend Class

Routine class attendance is required for students receiving VA benefits. Students who are unable to attend class for an extended period of time should notify their professors and their POC. 

Change of Address

If a student’s address changes, both the Department of Veterans Affairs and Alliant International University must be notified.

Students are responsible for notifying their POC of their registration each term at Alliant International University. All students receiving VA benefits have a responsibility to notify the POC of any changes in credit hours enrolled once the term begins. Failure to notify the POC may result in incorrect payment for which the student may be held liable.

Your Role as a Student—Irrespective of your VA Benefit Program

The Veterans’ Administration requires all students attending Alliant International University under Veterans Educational Assistance Benefits to make satisfactory academic progress and systematic advancement toward an educational objective or be liable for over payments from the Veterans’ Administration. Satisfactory progress and regular class attendance are expected. 

Note: Most military students at Alliant meet the conditions for “satisfactorily pursuing” a program of study for receiving VA benefits by meeting the Alliant International University general catalog requirements. However, a few VA requirements are more stringent than the Alliant International University general catalog requirements and are as follows:

  1. Regular Attendance: Students must be in regular attendance of all classes for which they are registered. Alliant International University may periodically make attendance spot-checks through the faculty to verify compliance.
  2. Unsatisfactory Progress: The University must notify the Veterans Administration that a student has made unsatisfactory progress if the student:
    a.   Fails or withdraws from all classes or,
    b.   Is suspended by the University.

    Education benefits are terminated when a student makes unsatisfactory progress.
  3. Classes not completed: Unless there are extenuating circumstances, students do not receive benefits for any portion of a class dropped after the 10-day add/drop period or for classes in which incomplete (delayed) grades are received and not resolved within one year.

Tuition Deferment

Deferred payment for the application fee and tuition deposits may be granted upon application by the student on the following grounds:

Deferral eligibility is granted to students receiving veterans’ educational assistance benefits from federal or state assistance programs if aid is delayed in transmission to the university through circumstances beyond the student’s control.

Students receiving benefits on active duty and under Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 1606, and 1607, U.S.C., are eligible for deferred payment status.

Called to Serve

Alliant International University is committed to providing the highest quality services for active military students and those affiliated with the military. It is our goal to provide a seamless transition for students from Alliant International University deployed for national and international military service and back. Alliant employees realize every student’s situation is unique dependent upon course load, financial aid status, and date called to serve to name a few. As such, each and every student “called to serve” will be provided individualized service to address their specific needs.


Alliant International University will ensure students do not face an academic disadvantage as a result of being called to national or international service. When a student (or family member) receives orders to deploy, the University works with the student to determine the best options based on the circumstance. In these circumstances, students can withdraw from the University with a 100% refund and without penalty.  The University will also make every effort to restore students returning from national and military service to the status they held prior to their departure. 

If classes are in session at the time of activation, each case may be evaluated individually and professors consulted as appropriate. The Financial Aid Office has guidelines for students called to serve with student loans. Given the differences in the programs of lenders, students should coordinate with their lenders directly to obtain deferments as prescribed by federal law.


  1. Withdrawal. At any point in the term, a student called to serve may withdraw from Alliant International University by submitting a withdrawal request along with a copy of deployment orders to the Registrar’s Office. The student will receive a full credit of     tuition and fees. The Registrar’s Office will process the withdrawal and arrange for appropriate adjustments to the student’s account.
  2. Selective Drops. A student may drop one or more courses and elect to complete remaining coursework according to Option 3 or Option 4 below. A full credit of tuition and fees for dropped courses will be honored.
  3. Incompletes. Students who have successfully completed the majority of work for a course may be awarded a grade of “Incomplete” at the discretion of the professor. Professors are strongly encouraged to grant additional time for students to make up the required work.
  4. Final Grades. A final grade option becomes available if the following requirements are met:
    a.        The professor determines a sufficient amount of the course work has been completed, and,
    b.        Sufficient information about a student’s performance in the course has been obtained.

Students must consult with their professors to determine whether these two requirements have been met for a final grade to be awarded.

Called to Serve - Re-Admission Policy

Any student whose absence from Alliant International University is necessitated by reason of service in the uniformed services shall be entitled to readmission to Alliant International University if:

  1. The student (or an appropriate officer of the Armed Forces or official of the Department of Defense) gives advance written or verbal notice of such service to an Alliant International University Official.
  2. The cumulative length of the absence and of all previous absences from Alliant International University by reason of service in the uniformed services does not exceed five years, and except as otherwise provided in this section, the student submits a notification of intent to re-enroll at Alliant International University.

Exceptions include:

  1. No notice is required if giving of such notice is precluded by military necessity, such as: mission, operation, exercise, or requirement that is classified or,
  2. A pending or ongoing mission, operation, exercise or requirement that may be compromised or otherwise adversely affected by public knowledge.

Any student who did not give advance written or verbal notice of service to the appropriate Alliant International University Official may meet the notice requirement by submitting, at the time the student seeks readmission, an attestation to Alliant International University that they performed service in the uniformed services that necessitated the student’s absence from Alliant International University.

A student who is readmitted to Alliant International University under this section, shall be readmitted with the same academic status as such student had when such student last attended Alliant International University.

Exception from Readmission Eligibility – upon the occurrence of the following events a student’s eligibility might be terminated:

  1. Separation of such person from the Armed Forces (including the National Guard and Reserves) with dishonorable or bad conduct discharge, or
  2. Dismissal of such person permitted under section 1161(a) of Title 10, United States Code.

Debts and Over-Payments

A debt is established on a school when:

  • The student never attended classes for which he/she was certified regardless of the reason for non-attendance.
  • The student completely withdraws on or before the first day of the term. If student reduces, the debt is a student debt.
  • The school received payment for the wrong student.
  • The school received a duplicate payment.
  • The school submitted an amended enrollment certification and reported reduced tuition and fee charges, reduced Yellow Ribbon amount, or reduced both. (Reductions based on student’s action should be reported on a 1999B with the changes in the enrollment and will result in a debt to the student.)
  • The student died during the term, or before start of the term.
  • VA issued payment above the amount certified on the enrollment certification that was used to process the payment (VA data entry error).

A debt is established on the student for Tuition/Fees/Yellow Ribbon when:

  • The student withdrew after the first day of the term (FDOT).
  • If the student completely withdrew on the FDOT, the student will be treated as never attended.
  • The student reduced hours whether the reduction occurred before or during the term.
  • If the student attended at least one day of any of the classes certified and a payment has been issued, any debt created by the reduction/withdrawal will be charged to the student.
  • The school submitted a change in enrollment (1999b) and reported a reduction in tuition, fees, and/or Yellow Ribbon due to student action reducing or terminating training.
  • If a student drops a course and adds a course so that there is no net change in training time, any change to tuition, fees, and/or Yellow Ribbon is a student debt.

Student Overpayments

When an overpayment is created, the VA sends a first demand letter notifying the student of the overpayment. When the letter is received, the student should immediately contact the VA regarding the debt. The response should be sent (in writing) directly to the office sending the letter, unless otherwise stated. Responding immediately and reaching a valid repayment agreement in a timely manner could prevent future benefits from being withheld. Due process (rights to appeal or waiver) as well as time limits for each step in the process is given in the first demand letter.

Time limits - A request for waiver must be received no later than 180 days (6 months) from the date of the initial notification of the overpayment. If a waiver request is received within 30 days of the first demand (notification) letter, no benefits will be withheld until the decision is made. If benefits were withheld and the waiver request was found to be timely, a refund will be issued. If a waiver is granted, any funds that have been applied will be refunded. Note: If a waiver is requested after the first 30 days, but within 180 days, offset of benefits will continue. If a waiver is granted, the amount collected will be refunded.

  • Compromise offers can be made any time. The offer must be a lump sum offer, in writing, and accompanied by a current Financial Status Report.
  • If a waiver is denied, the student will receive a written notification of the decision that will also indicate when future benefits will start being withheld. An appeal to a waiver denial must be made within one year from the date of the denial letter. Withholding of benefits will continue while this issue is pending.
  • Second and third demand letters and one warning letter are sent before referrals are made to nationwide credit bureaus.
  • Second and third demand letters and two warning letters are sent before referral to the Internal Revenue Service to offset the debt from any federal payments being made to the claimant.

Should a veteran/claimant have an overpayment and desire waiver consideration, a request must be received at VA no later than six (6) months from the date of initial notification of the overpayment. When an overpayment is established, written notification is sent to the veteran/claimant detailing the information needed to be considered for waiver. Briefly, the request must be in writing, specifically stating the reasons for the waiver request, accompanied with a financial status report listing all income, living expenses, installment contracts, assets, etc.

VA Healthcare

Did you know? If you are a recently discharged veteran with service in a theater of combat operations since November 11, 1998, VA can provide you with free medical care for five years from your discharge from active duty for conditions possibly related to your combat service, regardless of your income status.

Additionally, new conditions may be treated with a mandatory co-pay since all veterans meeting this criterion are automatically enrolled in Priority Group 6, regardless of income status. For more information, see Combat Veteran Eligibility (

Veterans Crisis Line

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a 24-hour, toll-free, confidential suicide prevention hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. By dialing 1-800-273-TALK (8255) (Press 1 if you are a Veteran). Calls are routed to the nearest crisis center in the national network of more than 150 crisis centers. The Lifeline’s national network of local crisis centers provides crisis counseling and mental health referrals day and night.

Recognize the signs of risk for harming yourself:

  • Thinking about hurting/killing yourself
  • Looking for ways to kill yourself
  • Talking about death, dying, or suicide
  • Engaging in risky activities or self-destructive behavior without thinking (i.e. alcohol/drug abuse, weapons, etc.)
  • Hopelessness, feeling like there is no way out
  • Anxiety, agitation, sleeplessness, mood swings
  • Feeling like there is no reason to live
  • Rage or Anger
  • Withdrawing from family and friends