2017-2018 Catalog 
    Jan 17, 2021  
2017-2018 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Military and Veterans Affairs

Alliant International University is committed to serving our military community. We appreciate and recognize the service and sacrifices of our nation’s active and veteran military personnel and their families. Our goal is to provide you with the best possible service during your transition to and success at Alliant International University.

Each of our locations has a primary Point of Contact (POC) that you can turn to for assistance and getting connected to University resources and support services. Please visit the veterans/military website for the most current list of POCs.

Military Student Applicants

Military students must satisfy the same admission requirements as all other applicants. Additionally, military transcripts are required of all current or former service members attending Alliant International University.

Military Transcripts

All veterans and active duty service members are required to submit their military transcripts for an evaluation of their admission eligibility and potentially eligible transfer credits . Undergraduates may be awarded up to 27 non-traditional transfer units for their military training and professional development. Graduate students may be awarded transfer credits depending on the eligibility and applicability of said credits to their academic program at Alliant.

Transfer Credit for Military Service and Training

Veterans, active-duty personnel, Guard and Reservists applying for admission may be granted academic credit on a case-by-case basis upon evaluation of official military transcripts. The University may award transfer credit to United States military personnel for courses and military occupational specialties (MOS), based on the American Council of Education (ACE) Guide for Military Transfer Credit. A MOS must have a recommendation evaluation by ACE for credit to be awarded. Course equivalencies and credit hours awarded for a particular degree are determined by the schools and/or academic departments. Credit hours may be awarded for specific courses toward degree requirements or as elective credit. The number of credit hours awarded will be determined by the school and/or academic department.

Joint Services Transcript (JST)

JST is the Joint Services Transcript that replaced the Coast Guard Institute Transcript, the Army ACE Registry Transcript (AARTS) and the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). JST is an academically accepted document approved by the American Council on Education (ACE) to validate a service member’s military occupational experience and training, along with the corresponding ACE college credit recommendations. The JST may be accessed and requested at https://jst.doded.mil.

U.S. Air Force: Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)

The USAF, through the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF), provides a transcript detailing ACE recommended credit. You will be able to obtain this transcript for military training and experience even if you have not attended classes at CCAF. To order an official copy and have it mailed directly to us, please download a CCAF transcript request and follow the instructions. CCAF transcripts typically arrive within 14 days. CCAF will send an official copy to Alliant by mail.

Transfer Students

Students who have attended other colleges and universities and used VA educational benefits will need to complete a VA Form 22­1995 (Change of Program or Place of Training).  The student may also complete the 22-1995 available on line at the “Manage Benefits” tab under the Apply for Benefits tab or complete the paper form. The paper form should be submitted to the primary POC. The Department of Veterans Affairs will generate a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) reflecting your transfer to Alliant.  Please submit a copy of this COE to militaryaffairs@alliant.edu.

Academic Program Map

The University provides Academic Plans of Study (aka academic roadmaps) to every student. We encourage all military students to review their academic plans of study along with their transfer evaluations to determine their remaining requirements for degree completion. Academic Program Maps are available in the Programs  section. 

Course Applicability

Only courses that satisfy requirements outlined in a student’s Academic Program Map (academic roadmap) can be certified for VA benefits. If a student enrolls in a course that does not fulfill a program requirement, it cannot be certified for VA benefits.

Rounding Out

A student can round out a course schedule with non-required courses to bring his/her course load up to full-­time schedule in his/her last term only. This allows students to continue to receive benefits at the full­-time rate in their last term of enrollment. This procedure can be done only once per program. In rounding out a full­-time schedule, students may use any credit hour unit subject, including a subject that has previously been successfully completed (received a passing grade).

Preparatory Coursework

Preparatory Coursework, also known as “courses required for admission to the next level of training,” may be approved in two situations:

  1. When an Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) requires a student to pursue courses at an educational level for which he or she already holds a diploma or degree.
  2. When an IHL requires a student to pursue courses at an educational level for which he or she appears qualified due to previous training.

For example, a college may require a student with a bachelor’s degree to take some undergraduate courses for admission to a graduate degree program. A statement from the school as to requirements of any specific courses for the student must accompany the claimant’s application.

If a graduate school requires a student with a bachelor’s degree to pursue undergraduate courses to satisfy admission requirements for a graduate degree program, then the courses required for admission may be certified as part of that graduate degree program.

To certify the courses, however, the following requirements must be met:

  1. The student should apply to the school as a graduate degree seeking student and the student must furnish the school transcripts of all previous education and training.
  2. The graduate school must determine whether the student meets its matriculation criteria. This process includes evaluation of prior credit. If the student cannot matriculate immediately upon enrollment, then the requirements the student must meet in order to matriculate must be identified and documented.
  3. If undergraduate courses are required to matriculate, the graduate school must prepare a statement on the school’s letterhead, signed by a responsible school official (­the department head, for example) ­that outlines the required undergraduate courses (identified by course number and name). This statement must be kept in the student’s file.

The Non-Standard and Accelerated Courses Policy (Calculation of Training Time for Graduates)

The formula is Weeks divided by Standard Semester multiplied by Units Required for Full-time Status or Half-time then Equals Hours Prorated Equivalency.  The following chart will aid in determining the semester hour equivalency training times:

Semester Hour Equivalency Table for Non-Standard Courses                                       

Course Length (Weeks) Full-time   Half-time  
16 8 5
15 7.5 4.68
14 7 4.37
13 6.5 4.06
12 6 3.75
11 5.5 3.43
10 5 3.125
9 4.5 2.81
8 4 2.5
7 3.5 2.18
6 3 1.87
5 2.5 1.5
4 2 1.25
3 1.5 0.93
2 1 0.65
1 0.5 0.31

Military Education Benefit Programs

Active Duty service members, Veterans and their dependents may qualify for an array of Federal, State, Institutional and Private financing programs beyond the Military Education Benefit Programs listed and described below.

For example, the U.S. Department of Education offers federal financial aid programs for eligible students. Undergraduate students may qualify for the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant, the Federal Work Study Program and the Federal Direct Student Loan Program. Graduate students may also qualify for the Federal Work Study and the Federal Direct Student Loan Program.

To apply for financial aid from the U.S. Department of Education, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Federal School Code for Alliant International University is 011117. Please see the Expenses and Financial Aid  section for additional information.

The following Education Benefit Programs are available for military students at Alliant International University:

  1. California National Guard Education Assistance Program
  2. Education Assistance for Members of the Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) - (Chapter 1606)
  3. Health Professions Scholarship Program (Psychologists)
  4. Licensing and Certification Tests (Chapter 30, 32, 33, 35, 1606 and 1607)
  5. Military and Veterans Program (MVP) Scholarship (Undergraduates)
  6. Military Spouse Benefits
  7. Military Tuition Assistance (TA) Program
  8. Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)
  9. Post 9/11 GI Bill Program (Chapter 33)
  10. Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP) - Chapter 1607
  11. Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)
  12. Survivors and Dependents Assistance (DEA) - Chapter 35
  13. The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship)
  14. The Yellow Ribbon Program
  15. Transfer of Educational Benefits (TEB)
  16. Tutorial Assistance (Chapters 30, 32, 33, 35, and 1606)
  17. VA Work Study (Chapters 33, 30, 31, 32, 35, 1606 and 1607)
  18. Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment VetSuccess Program (Chapter 31)

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship)

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) benefit is available to the children and surviving spouses of service members who die in the line of duty after Sept. 10, 2001. The Fry Scholarship pays a benefit equal to the Post­ 9/11 GI Bill. Please check the VA Rate Tables for specific rates. Beneficiaries attending school may receive the statutory annual maximum amount for a private school, plus a monthly living stipend and book allowance under this program. Fry Scholarship recipients are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)

Generally, the Montgomery GI Bill is for individuals who have been on Active Duty since July 1, 1985, who have contributed $1,200 to an educational fund and have completed a qualifying amount of “honorable” service. Additional information on the GI Bill may be found on the VA’s Montgomery GI Bill webpage. Please also see the VA’s Payment Rates Tables for VA benefits.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment VetSuccess Program (Chapter 31)

If you are a veteran who has a VA disability rating and an employment handicap, you may be entitled to vocational rehabilitation and employment services under Chapter 31 of the GI Bill. These services include but are not limited to counseling, training, education and job placement assistance.

The following services may be provided through the VR&E program:

  1. Comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation to determine abilities, skills, interests, and needs.
  2. Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning.
  3. Employment services such as job seeking skills, resume development, and other work readiness assistance.
  4. Assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives.
  5. On the Job Training (OJT), apprenticeships, and non­paid work experiences.
  6. Financial assistance for post­secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school.
  7. Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and referral.
  8. Independent living services for Veterans unable to work due to the severity of their disabilities.


Eligibility and entitlement for VR&E are two different things. You may meet eligibility criteria, yet not be entitled to services. The first step in the VR&E process is to be evaluated to determine if you qualify for services. To receive an evaluation for VR&E services, you must meet the following “eligibility” criteria:

  1. Have received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable.
  2. Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10% ­ or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the VA.
  3. Submit a completed application for VR&E services (online at the Department of Veterans Affairs VONAPP)

Period of Eligibility

Similar to many VA benefits, VR&E has a limited period of eligibility. The basic period of eligibility in which VR&E services may be used is 12 years from the date of separation from active military service, or the date the veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating, whichever comes later.

The basic period of eligibility may be extended if a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor determines that a veteran has a Serious Employment Handicap.

Program/Process Overview

If you are eligible for an evaluation under the Vocational Rehabilitation program, you must complete an application and meet with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC). If the VRC determines that an employment handicap exists as a result of a service-connected disability, you will be entitled to services. The VRC will help you identify and select the appropriate services track and together you will develop a plan to address your rehabilitation and employment needs.

You and your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor will work together to:

  1. Determine your transferable skills, aptitudes, and interests.
  2. Identify viable employment and/or independent living services options.
  3. Explore labor market and wage information.
  4. Identify physical demands and other job characteristics.
  5. Narrow vocational options to identify a suitable employment goal.
  6. Select a VR&E VetSuccess program track leading to an employment or independent living goal.
  7. Investigate training requirements.
  8. Identify resources needed to achieve rehabilitation.
  9. Develop an individualized rehabilitation plan to achieve the identified employment and/or independent living goals.

The rehabilitation plan will specify an employment or independent living goal, identify intermediate goals, and outline services and resources needed to achieve these goals. You and the VRC will work together to implement the plan and achieve successful rehabilitation.

If the VRC determines that you are not entitled to services, he or she will help you locate other resources to address any rehabilitation and employment needs identified during the evaluation. Referral to other resources may include state vocational rehabilitation programs, Department of Labor employment programs for disabled veterans, and state, federal or local agencies providing services for employment or small business development, internet-based resources for rehabilitation and employment, and information about applying for financial aid.

If you believe that you may be eligible for VR&E services, you can get started today by applying online at the Department of Veterans Affairs VONAPP site. Additional information may be found at Chapter 31.

Post 9/11 GI Bill Program (Chapter 33)

The Post­ 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post­ 9/11 GI Bill.

The Post ­9/11 GI Bill program is comprised of multiple payments. Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) you may receive a:

  1. Tuition & fee payment sent directly to the school
  2. Monthly housing allowance sent to you
  3. Books and supplies stipend sent to you
  4. One ­time rural benefit for certain veterans

All payments and maximum amounts are applicable to individuals eligible for the full benefit (100% eligibility tier). If you are not eligible for the full benefit, the payment and maximum amounts listed will be prorated based on your eligibility percentage. Additional information may be found at the VA Education and Training website.  

The Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) rate is based on the zip code of the campus with which you are affiliated and is generally the same as the military Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E­5 with dependents. Students must be enrolled more than half-­time for MHA eligibility. Student should use the BAH calculator for additional details. 

Full-time registration during a 16-week semester is:

Undergraduate      12 units
Credential              12 units
Graduate                 8 units

Half­-time registration during a 16-week semester is:

Undergraduate       6 units
Credential               6 units
Graduate                 5 units

Therefore, you must register for more than the units reflected above, however, graduate students who have completed all their course work except for their dissertation are also considered full­-time students.

During the 10-week Summer Session registration for seven (7) units is considered full-­time for undergraduate students and registration for five (5) units considered full-­time for graduate students.

The Book and supplies stipend will help cover the cost of books, supplies, equipment and other educational fees. Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients will receive a lump sum payment accompanying the living allowance for the first month of each semester or term. The payment will be $41.67 for every credit enrolled, but no more than $1,000 per calendar year. (e.g., a student enrolled in 12 units will receive $500 for that academic term). Veterans who have served less than three years on active duty since September 10, 2001 qualify for a percentage of the book stipend under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

The Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-­9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. It provides funding to veterans who have served at least 36 months of active duty following September 10, 2001, veterans who were honorably discharged from active duty for a service related disability and who served 30 continuous days following September 10, 2001, and dependents eligible for Transfer of Entitlement of the Post ­9/11 GI.

The University is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program and eligibility is determined on a first come, first­ served basis. Applicants must have 100% eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI Bill to qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Additionally, active duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program. Additional information and application materials may be found on Alliant’s Yellow Ribbon website.  

Questions regarding eligibility, program application, and guidance on completing application materials should be directed to the Director of Military and Veterans Affairs.

When tuition costs are fully covered by the Post­ 9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program, no other institutional scholarships or grants that are specified to cover tuition costs (such as academic scholarships or grants) will be awarded. The Yellow Ribbon funds that are provided by the University are tied to tuition costs. If tuition costs are refunded or reduced, the Yellow Ribbon award from Alliant International University and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) will be reduced at the same percentage.

Transfer of Educational Benefits (TEB)

Some service members may be able to transfer all or some of their Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) eligibility to their dependent children or spouse. Under the new law, the Department of Defense is authorized to allow individuals who have served at least 6 years in the Armed Forces and who agree to serve at least another 4 years to transfer unused GI Bill entitlement to their spouse. In addition, when a service member reaches their 10­-year anniversary, they can choose to transfer the benefit to any dependents - spouse or children.

The criteria for TEB are very specific and the transfer of benefits must be approved by the Department of Defense (DoD), while payment of benefits is handled by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Additional information may be found here.

Survivors and Dependents Assistance (DEA) - Chapter 35

Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. Additional information may be found here.

Payment Rates Tables for VA benefits including Chapter 35 benefits may be found here.

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) Program

Tuition Assistance (TA) is available to Active Duty, National Guard, and Reserve service members. Generally, TA has a limit of $250 per credit hour and an aggregate annual limit of $4,500. Active Duty service members are eligible to use TA after the successful completion of their first year of service after graduating from either Advanced Individual Training (AIT), Officer Candidate School (OCS), or Basic Officer Leaders Course (BOLC).

Service members are generally eligible for 16 semester hours of TA-funded courses per fiscal year and may use TA for second, higher-level post-bachelor’s degree after completing 10 years of service.

Additional information on the TA program for each branch of the military may be found on the links provided below. Please note: if the links below prompt you with a security warning, simply accept the security certificate or follow the instructions to add an exception to your browser.

  1. Air Force Tuition Assistance Program 
  2. GOArmyEd- Army Tuition Assistance Program
  3. Coast Guard Tuition Assistance Program
  4. Marines Tuition Assistance Program
  5. Navy College Program- Navy’s Tuition Assistance Program

Return of Funds - Tuition Assistance (TA) Regulations

Department of Defense (DOD) regulations require Alliant to return any TA funds on a proportional basis when a student fails to attend class (through 60 percent portion of the period). If a student fails to attend or stops attending class before the 60 percent date of the specific term, Alliant will be required to return some or all of the TA dollars received on behalf of the student, and the student will become responsible for payment of course tuition and fees to the institution.

Health Professions Scholarship Program (Psychologists)

The Air Force, Army and Navy offer the Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP). The programs generally cover 100% of a student’s graduate school tuition to become a Psychologist. In addition, the programs generally offer a signing bonus plus a monthly stipend.

Students who complete the program will enter the service as a commissioned reserve officer on active duty and receive officer’s pay and benefits. Generally, students are obligated to serve at least three (3) years.

More information can be found by visiting the links below:

  1. Air Force HPSP 
  2. U.S. Army HPSP
  3. U.S. Navy HPSP

Military Spouse Benefits

The University is approved to participate in the Department of Defense’s Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program. The program provides up to $4,000 of financial assistance for military spouses who are pursuing degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to employment in Portable Career Fields.

Spouses of DoD Active Duty members and federally activated members of the National Guard and Reserve Components are eligible. The period of eligibility for spouses of Guard and Reserve members is from the date of the Alert or Warning Order for Military Recall or Mobilization, through activation and deployment until 180 days following Demobilization. Additional program information may be found here.

Military and Veterans Program (MVP) Scholarship (Undergraduates)

Designed specifically for undergraduate Veterans and their dependents, the University offers the Military and Veterans Program (MVP) scholarship. The MVP scholarship is an annual $5,000 tuition award for full-­time undergraduate students and is prorated for less than full­-time enrollment. Students who qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program do not qualify for the MVP Scholarship.

California National Guard Education Assistance Program

The California National Guard Assistance Award Program (CNG EAAP) is a state funded program designed to provide an educational incentive to improve skills, competencies, and abilities for up to 1,000 service members who remain active in the National Guard, the State Military Reserve or the Naval Militia. Applicants must submit the program application along with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) prior to the application priority date of June 1. Applications and program information may be found at www.csac.ca.gov or calling the Office of the Adjutant General at (916) 854-4255.

Education Assistance for Members of the Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) - (Chapter 1606)

The MGIB­SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

You may use this education assistance program for degree programs, certificate or correspondence courses, cooperative training, independent study programs, apprenticeship/on-the-job training, and vocational flight training programs. Remedial, refresher and deficiency training are available under certain circumstances.

Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components. VA makes the payments for this program. You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits. Your eligibility for the program normally ends on the day you leave the Selected Reserve.

One exception to this rule exists if you are mobilized (or recalled to active duty from your reserve status), in this case your eligibility may be extended for the amount of time you are mobilized PLUS four months. For example, if you are mobilized for 12 months your eligibility period is extended for 16 months (12 months active duty PLUS 4 months.) So even if you leave the reserves after mobilization, you may have additional eligibility to the MGIB­SR.

If your unit is deactivated during the period beginning on October 1, 2007 through September 30, 2014 or you are involuntarily separated (for reasons other than misconduct) you will retain your original period of eligibility which is 14 years from the date of your first 6-year obligation with the selected reserves.


To qualify, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation. For some types of training, it is necessary to have a six-year commitment that begins after September 30, 1990;
  2. Complete your initial active duty for training (IADT);
  3. Meet the requirement to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT. You may not use 12 hours toward a college degree to meet this requirement;
  4. Remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit. You will also retain MGIB ­ SR eligibility if you were discharged from Selected Reserve service due to a disability that was not caused by misconduct. Your eligibility period may be extended if you are ordered to active duty.

How to Apply

Your unit will give you a DD Form 2384­1, Notice of Basic Eligibility, when you become eligible for the program. Your unit will also code your eligibility into the Department of Defense personnel system so that VA may verify your eligibility.

Obtain and complete VA Form 22­1990, Application for Education Benefits.

Payment Rates Tables for VA benefits including Chapter 1606 benefits may be found here.

Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP) - Chapter 1607

REAP was established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits. Payment Rates Tables for VA benefits including Chapter 1607 benefits may be found here.

Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)


Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) is a three or four year program designed to equip students with leadership skills and commission officers for tomorrow’s Air Force. Required coursework includes lectures, a leadership laboratory practical component, panel discussions, dialogues, problem solving, and physical training. Alliant does not have an AFROTC program on campus; however, through a crosstown agreement with San Diego State University (SDSU), students may participate in AFROTC through the SDSU College of Extended Studies.

All coursework is completed on-­site at or near San Diego State University (SDSU), with the exception of a four-week summer Field Training program held at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Alabama between the second and third year. Scholarships are available for eligible students and credits earned through ROTC courses may be transferred as electives, substitutions or to meet the degree requirements at Alliant. Students may enroll and attend ROTC classes at SDSU by contacting the SDSU Aerospace Studies Department at (619) 594-5550 or 75afrotc@mail.sdsu.edu. Upon successful completion of the program and all requirements of a bachelor’s degree, cadets are commissioned as Second Lieutenants and serve a minimum of four years in the active duty Air Force.

Licensing and Certification Tests (Chapter 30, 32, 33, 35, 1606 and 1607)

VA can reimburse the cost of approved licensing and certification tests. Students are reimbursed the cost of the test, not to exceed the approved cost of the test or $2,000. Benefits can be paid for tests that are not passed, for tests retaken if not passed, and for tests required to be recertified or to renew a license.

Students must be eligible for benefits to receive test reimbursement. They must have remaining entitlement and their delimiting date must not have passed. Information about test fee reimbursement can be found here.

VA students can apply for test fee reimbursement by completing and submitting an Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certification Test Fees, available here.

Attach a copy of the test results to the application. If test results are not available, attach a copy of the license or certification and a payment receipt. Test fee reimbursement can be paid for each test for which reimbursement is claimed and the required documents are submitted.

Entitlement is prorated based on the amount reimbursed. If a student’s full­-time benefit is $1000 per month and the student is reimbursed $500 for a test, then the student’s remaining entitlement will be reduced by ½ month.

For more information or to see if a test is approved, please visit http://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/buildSearchNE.do.

Applying for Reimbursement

You must be eligible for GI Bill benefits to qualify for reimbursement. Complete VA Form 22-­0810 (Application for Reimbursement of National Exam Fee).

You may mail the required documentation to the Regional Processing Office in Muskogee, OK (P.O. Box 8888, Muskogee, OK, 74402-­8888) or you can use the “Submit a Question” section of the GI Bill website to send the VA Form 22-­0810 and attach required documents to your submission.

Tutorial Assistance (Chapters 30, 32, 33, 35, and 1606)

VA may pay tutorial assistance to a student receiving education benefits. The monthly rate may not exceed the cost of tutoring or $100. The maximum amount payable is $1200. There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 under Chapter 30 and 1606. There is no entitlement charge under Chapter 33 or 35.

The student, tutor, and certifying official (CO) must complete an Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance VA Form 22-1990t. The application may be submitted at the end of each month or combination of months. The application must be signed and dated on or after the date of the last tutoring session certified. VA can pay for tutorial assistance during the one-year period before the date VA receives the application.

All of the following criteria must be met for a student to be eligible for tutorial assistance:

  1. The student must be in a post-­secondary program ½ ­time or more. For Chapter 33, rate of pursuit must be “at least 50%.”
  2. The student must have a deficiency in a course that is part of his or her approved program.
  3. The student must be enrolled in the course during the term in which the tutoring is received for the course. Tutoring may not occur between terms.

When a certifying official signs an Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance, he or she certifies that:

  1. Tutoring is essential to correct a deficiency. A letter from the course instructor should be put in the student’s VA file. The letter must state that the student is deficient in the course and that individual tutoring is required to correct the deficiency.
  2. The tutor meets the college’s qualifications. Ideally, the school maintains a list of approved tutors. The list should indicate the subjects a tutor is qualified to tutor and the hourly charge. Students should be assigned a tutor from the approved list. A tutor may not be a close relative of the student.
  3. The charges do not exceed the usual charges for tutoring.

VA Work Study (Chapters 33, 30, 31, 32, 35, 1606 and 1607)

Students can apply by completing VA Form 22-8691 “Application for Work-Study Allowance” and submitting the form to the VA Regional Processing Office in Muskogee, Oklahoma:

P.O. Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888

Students must attend school at the ¾ time or full-time rate.

What Type of Work Does a Work Study Student Do?

Students must be assigned to work sites that will permit them to perform VA related activities. These work sites include, but are not limited to: Regional Offices, VA Medical Centers, Vet Centers, VA Outpatient Clinics, National Cemeteries, and local education institutions. Pay is based on the higher of the Federal minimum wage or the State/Local minimum wage. Work performed on or after the effective date of any minimum wage increase will be paid at the higher rate even though the contract may show a lower rate.

Student Responsibilities

Student Responsibilities to Begin Receiving Benefits

The following steps must be completed prior to a student receiving VA educational benefits for Alliant courses:

  1. Students must be admitted to a degree program or certificate program at Alliant International University.
  2. Students expecting to enroll under educational benefits administered by the Veterans Administration may apply online.
  3. Submit either the Joint Services Transcript or (JST) the Community College of the Air Force Transcript (CCAF).

Student Responsibilities for Receiving Education Military Benefits

Students must notify their Certifying Official (CO) when any of the following occurs:

  1. Dropping or adding course(s)
  2. Withdrawing from course(s)
  3. Discontinuing regular class attendance
  4. Change in academic program (change in major)

VA educational benefits are payable for regular attendance in courses that are part of the veterans’ program (major) curriculum. VA educational benefits are not payable for:

  1. Classes not attended regularly
  2. Repeating a course for which a passing grade was received
  3. Classes for which credit is received through successful completion of a proficiency test or grade by examination
  4. Classes taken on an audit basis
  5. Classes that are dropped
  6. Classes taken that are not part of the student’s academic program (major) curriculum

Students’ Role to Continue to Receive Benefits

To prevent overpayment and subsequent indebtedness to the Federal Government, it is important to notify the POC for your campus immediately of changes that may affect your eligibility for benefits. It is the responsibility of each student to keep their POC apprised of the following:

Class Registration

After registering, students will receive a copy of the 22-199 submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The earlier a student registers, the earlier certification can be transmitted to the VA.

Changes to Schedule

Any additions, drops, withdrawals, or other interruptions must be immediately reported to the VA.  Therefore, students are encouraged to discuss possible schedule changes and the impact on benefits prior to undertaking the change.

Failure to Attend Class

Regular class attendance is required for students receiving VA benefits. Students who are unable to attend class for an extended period of time should notify their professors and their POC.

Change of Address

If a student’s address changes, both the Department of Veterans Affairs and the University must be notified.

Changes in Credit Hours

All students receiving VA benefits have a responsibility to notify the POC of any changes in credit hours enrolled once the term begins. Failure to notify the POC may result in incorrect payment for which the student may be held liable.

Your Role as a Student- Irrespective of Your VA Benefit Program

The Veterans’ Administration requires all students attending Alliant International University under Veterans Educational Assistance Benefits to make satisfactory academic progress and systematic advancement toward an educational objective or be liable for over payments from the Veterans’ Administration. Satisfactory progress and regular class attendance are expected.

Note: Most military students at Alliant meet the conditions for “satisfactorily pursuing” a program of study for receiving VA benefits by meeting the University general catalog requirements. However, a few VA requirements are more stringent than the University general catalog requirements and are as follows:

  1. Unsatisfactory Progress: The University must notify the Veterans Administration that a student has made unsatisfactory progress if the student:
    1. Fails or withdraws from all classes, or
    2. Is suspended by the University.

Education benefits are terminated when a student makes unsatisfactory progress:

  1. Classes not completed: Unless there are extenuating circumstances, students do not receive benefits for any portion of a class dropped after the 10-day add/drop period or for classes in which incomplete (delayed) grades are received and not resolved within one year.

Tuition Deferment

Deferred payment for the application fee and tuition deposits may be granted upon application by the student on the following grounds:

  1. Deferral eligibility is granted to students receiving veterans’ educational assistance benefits from federal or state assistance programs if aid is delayed in transmission to the university through circumstances beyond the student’s control.
  2. Students receiving benefits under Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 1606, and 1607, U.S.C., are eligible for deferred payment status.

Financial Aid and VA Benefits

Military students may also qualify for disbursement of their federal, state or institutional assistance if confirmation of benefits is received by Student Business Services (SBS). Military students may either submit a copy of their VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for the term or a screenshot of their VA Ebenefits Education Account to SBS@alliant.edu.

Called to Serve

The University is committed to providing the highest quality services for active military students and those affiliated with the military. It is our goal to provide a seamless transition for students deployed for national and international military service and back. Alliant employees realize every student’s situation is unique dependent upon course load, financial aid status, and date called to serve, to name a few. As such, each student “called to serve” will be provided individualized service to address their specific needs.


The University will ensure students do not face an academic disadvantage as a result of being called to national or international service. When a student (or family member) receives orders to deploy, the University works with the student to determine the best options based on the circumstance. In these circumstances, students can withdraw from the University with a 100% refund and without penalty. The University will also make every effort to restore students returning from national and military service to the status they held prior to their departure.

If classes are in session at the time of activation, each case may be evaluated individually and professors consulted as appropriate. The Financial Aid Office has guidelines for students called to serve with student loans. Given the differences in the programs of lenders, students should coordinate with their lenders directly to obtain deferments as prescribed by federal law.


  1. Withdrawal: At any point in the term, a student called to serve may withdraw from the University by submitting a withdrawal request along with a copy of deployment orders to the Registrar’s Office. The student will receive a full credit of tuition and fees. The Registrar’s Office will process the withdrawal and arrange for appropriate adjustments to the student’s account.
  2. Selective Drops: A student may drop one or more courses and elect to complete remaining coursework according to Option 3 or Option 4 below. A full credit of tuition and fees for dropped courses will be honored.
  3. Incompletes: Students who have successfully completed the majority of work for a course may be awarded a grade of “Incomplete” at the discretion of the professor. Professors are strongly encouraged to grant additional time for students to make up the required work.
  4. Final Grades: A final grade option becomes available if the following requirements are met:
    1. The professor determines a sufficient amount of the course work has been completed, and
    2. Sufficient information about a student’s performance in the course has been obtained.

Students must consult with their professors to determine whether these two requirements have been met for a final grade to be awarded.

Re-Admission Policy

Any student whose absence from the University is necessitated by reason of service in the uniformed services shall be entitled to readmission to Alliant International University if:

  1. The student (or an appropriate officer of the Armed Forces or official of the Department of Defense) gives advance written or verbal notice of such service to an Alliant Official,
  2. The cumulative length of the absence and of all previous absences by reason of service in the uniformed services does not exceed five years, and except as otherwise provided in this section, the student submits a notification of intent to re-enroll at Alliant.

Exceptions include:

  1. No notice is required if giving of such notice is precluded by military necessity, such as: mission, operation, exercise, or requirement that is classified, or
  2. A pending or ongoing mission, operation, exercise, or requirement that may be compromised or otherwise adversely affected by public knowledge.

Any student who did not give advance written or verbal notice of service to the appropriate university official may meet the notice requirement by submitting, at the time the student seeks readmission, an attestation to Alliant International University that they performed service in the uniformed services that necessitated the student’s absence from the university.

A student who is readmitted to the university under this section, will be readmitted with the same academic status as the student had when the student last attended Alliant.

Exception from Readmission Eligibility- upon the occurrence of the following events a student’s eligibility might be terminated:

  1. Separation of such person from the Armed Forces (including the National Guard and Reserves) with dishonorable or bad conduct discharge, or
  2. Dismissal of such person permitted under section 1161(a) of Title 10, United States Code.

Debts and Over-Payments

A debt is established on a school when:

  1. The student never attended classes for which he/she was certified regardless of the reason for non-­attendance.
  2. The student completely withdraws on or before the first day of the term. If student reduces, the debt is a student debt.
  3. The school received payment for the wrong student.
  4. The school received a duplicate payment.
  5. The school submitted an amended enrollment certification and reported reduced tuition and fee charges, reduced Yellow Ribbon amount, or reduced both. (Reductions based on student’s action should be reported on a 1999B with the changes in the enrollment and will result in a debt to the student.)
  6. The student died during the term, or before start of the term.
  7. VA issued payment above the amount certified on the enrollment certification that was used to process the payment (VA data entry error).

A debt is established on the student for Tuition/Fees/Yellow Ribbon when:

  1. The student withdrew after the first day of the term (FDOT).
  2. If the student completely withdrew on the FDOT, the student will be treated as never attended. The student reduced hours whether the reduction occurred before or during the term.
  3. If the student attended at least one day of any of the classes certified and a payment has been issued, any debt created by the reduction/withdrawal will be charged to the student.
  4. The school submitted a change in enrollment (1999b) and reported a reduction in tuition, fees, and/or Yellow Ribbon due to student action reducing or terminating training.
  5. If a student drops a course and adds a course so that there is no net change in training time, any change to tuition, fees, and/or Yellow Ribbon is a student debt.

Student Overpayments

When an overpayment is created, the VA sends a first demand letter notifying the student of the overpayment. When the letter is received, the student should immediately contact the VA regarding the debt. The response should be sent (in writing) directly to the office sending the letter, unless otherwise stated. Responding immediately and reaching a valid repayment agreement in a timely manner could prevent future benefits from being withheld. Due process (rights to appeal or waiver), as well as time limits for each step in the process, is given in the first demand letter.

Time limits: a request for waiver must be received no later than 180 days (6 months) from the date of the initial notification of the overpayment. If a waiver request is received within 30 days of the first demand (notification) letter, no benefits will be withheld until the decision is made. If benefits were withheld and the waiver request was found to be timely, a refund will be issued. If a waiver is granted, any funds that have been applied will be refunded. Note: If a waiver is requested after the first 30 days, but within 180 days, offset of benefits will continue. If a waiver is granted, the amount collected will be refunded.

  1. Compromise offers can be made any time. The offer must be a lump sum offer, in writing, and accompanied by a current Financial Status Report.
  2. If a waiver is denied, the student will receive a written notification of the decision that will also indicate when future benefits will start being withheld. An appeal to a waiver denial must be made within one year from the date of the denial letter. Withholding of benefits will continue while this issue is pending.
  3. Second and third demand letters and one warning letter are sent before referrals are made to nationwide credit bureaus.
  4. Second and third demand letters and two warning letters are sent before referral to the Internal Revenue Service to offset the debt from any federal payments being made to the claimant.

Should a veteran/claimant have an overpayment and desire waiver consideration, a request must be received at the VA no later than six (6) months from the date of initial notification of the overpayment. When an overpayment is established, written notification is sent to the veteran/claimant detailing the information needed to be considered for waiver. Briefly, the request must be in writing, specifically stating the reasons for the waiver request, accompanied with a financial status report listing all income, living expenses, installment contracts, assets, etc.


E-Benefits Portal

The eBenefits portal developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Defense is an on­line resource for tools and benefits related information. The portal serves Wounded Warriors, Veterans, Service Members, their families, and their caregivers.

Students are encouraged to register and utilize eBenefits to assist with:

  1. Obtaining up to date information on their educational entitlement
  2. Updating Direct Deposit and personal contact information
  3. Downloading VA Letters and Personal Documents
  4. Viewing the current status of payments (both education and disability)

Students can access the web portal at http://www.ebenefits.va.gov.


There are a number of organizations that offer services to military students and their dependents. The following are a few of them:

  1. Department of Veterans Affairs. Many benefits are available to advance the education and skills of Veterans and Service Members. Spouses and family members may also be eligible for education and training assistance; in fact, 25 percent of those benefitting from VA’s education programs are non-Veterans. Some might find they’re eligible for more than one benefit or that one program is more suited to certain education and training goals than another. Learn about these and other education and training programs administered by the VA. More information can be found here: http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/education_programs.asp, or by calling the Student Hotline at 1-888-442-4551.
  2. Disabled American Veterans. Dedicated to a single purpose: empowering veterans to lead high-quality lives with respect and dignity. DAV ensures veterans and their families can access the full range of benefits available to them; fighting for the interests of America’s injured heroes on Capitol Hill; and educating the public about the great sacrifices and needs of veterans transitioning back to civilian life. More information can be found here: http://www.dav.org/veterans/.
  3. American Corporate Partners (ACP). Alliant has partnered with ACP for ACP’s Veteran Mentoring Program, which connects Veterans with Corporate Mentors for a yearlong mentorship. Paired based on their career objectives and professional experience, Mentors and Veterans define the goals of their mentorship together and focus on a successful transition from the military to the civilian workforce. Mentors have a wide variety of professional expertise, including defense, education, finance, insurance, information technology, logistics, management, manufacturing, marketing and retail. More information can be found here: http://www.acp-usa.org/Mentoring_Program.
  4. Military OneSource. A confidential Department of Defense-funded program providing comprehensive information on every aspect of military life at no cost to active duty, National Guard, and reserve members, and their families. Information includes, but is not limited to, deployment, reunion, relationships, grief, spouse employment, and education, parenting and childhood services. It is a virtual extension to installation services. More information can be found here: http://www.militaryonesource.mil/.

VA Healthcare

Did you know? If you are a recently discharged veteran with service in a theater of combat operations since November 11, 1998, VA can provide you with free medical care for five years from your discharge from active duty for conditions possibly related to your combat service, regardless of your income status.

Additionally, new conditions may be treated with a mandatory co-­pay since all veterans meeting this criterion are automatically enrolled in Priority Group 6, regardless of income status. For more information, see Combat Veteran Eligibility.

Veterans Crisis Line

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a 24-hour, toll-free, confidential suicide prevention hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. It is accessible by dialing 1-800-273-TALK (8255), and press 1 if you are a Veteran. Calls are routed to the nearest crisis center in the national network of more than 150 crisis centers. The Lifeline’s national network of local crisis centers provides crisis counseling and mental health referrals day and night.

Recognize the signs of risk for harming yourself:

  1. Thinking about hurting/killing yourself
  2. Looking for ways to kill yourself
  3. Talking about death, dying, or suicide
  4. Engaging in risky activities or self-destructive behavior without thinking (i.e. alcohol/drug abuse, weapons, etc.)
  5. Hopelessness, feeling like there is no way out
  6. Anxiety, agitation, sleeplessness, mood swings
  7. Feeling like there is no reason to live
  8. Rage or anger
  9. Withdrawing from family and friends